Sunday 7 July 2013

From Canada to The USA by bus

Updated in July 2021

In June 2021, Greyhound cancelled all services between Canadian Cities; Greyhound U.S. is currently operating only 5 routes: Toronto to Buffalo, N.Y., Toronto to New York City, Montreal to Boston, Montreal New York City and Vancouver to Seattle. The Philadelphia Toronto route was cancelled. Hopefully, the reduction in the number of routes  Greyhound can improve their services. After this trip, I described I was brave enough to the Greyhound twice to Cleveland. The last trip was a true nightmare, bad enough to make me go back to visit my friend only after I bought a car. So now I drive there. Still worth reading a little about this experience of what sounds like ages ago


                                                                    freedigitalphotos.net




Greyhound Experience
From Toronto to Ocean city , from Salisbury to Toronto by Bus

Itinerary :Toronto-Manhattan-Newark-Baltimore-Wimington-Dover-Salisbury-Ocean City.

What a night.... what a day. My bus left at 7:45 pm as scheduled and, then I went away again hit the road… one of my favorite parts of the trip. I love to see how people behave in bus terminals and that is where diversity has its strongest presence. As usual there was a kid crying all the way but earphones help a lot.
 10:00 pm: Immigration - process was fast but we had to wait for one hour in the bus to head to NYC. During the night there were two stops, but nothing I wanted to eat. I bought water and a plain croissant, it was ok.
7:20 am: I was back for few hours but back to NYC …what a crazy place… still the same busy place that never sleeps. So many people… for sure thousands of people doing yoga on Times Square and a huge line in front of CBC with screaming  girls waiting for John Legend. I had my breakfast and came back to the terminal… not before taking many pictures of the signs I love .


Times Square at 7:30 a.m - yoga and John Legend


Back to the terminal… my bus was one hour late because the driver did not show up.. and I still had to take the Ocean City bus that leaves once a day . On the way to Ocean City the traffic was horrible, I chose the best day to travel ( I am being hironic) Firefly Music Festival started the day I passed by Dover and it is on the way to Salisbury, place I should change buses. Well in a nutshell my bus arrived 3:30 hours late and I had to take the regular bus to Ocean city. The driver from the other bus waited until 15 minutes before we arrived. It is incredible how Greyhound can be bad, they have no communication with the drivers, and there is always I drive assistant. The trip from Salisbury to Ocean City by  public bus was really bad. Anyway 4:00 hours later than I was supposed to be, there I was in Ocean City.


                                                                        freedigitalphotos.net





Return Trip
From Salisbury to Toronto
Itinerary: Salisbury to Philadelphia. From Philadelphia to Toronto.

On my way back 6 days later another problem with Greyhound they simply changed the pick- up location in Salisbury, but there was nothing written in the ticket. To my surprise when I arrived at the old gas station also called terminal, there was a sign with the new location. They moved 3 days before to a location that is 20 minutes away by car and I believe impossible to get by bus… I was lucky my friend drove me to the other station... I wonder what would have happened if I was alone...there are no taxis around, and the region is very poor.
Once in Philadelphia, the Terminal was ok near the Reading Market. My bus was going to leave at 11:00 pm… I arrived at 2:30 pm so I had time to feel the city.

Megabus experience

Well you have to take Megabus in the middle of nowhere near Amtrak Station – 30th Ave and Market Street, the place is under construction so it looks dangerous but actually it is ok. According to the Visitors Centre clerk “ you get what you pay for” so never expect much. By the way if you have a bus ticket you have no right to rent a locker, the lockers are only available to Amtrak's passengers.

Bus Terminal in Philadelphia

The bus arrived one hour later and we had to wait in a place that there are no seats or shelter, in the winter it must be horrible. Once the bus the trip started I had the impression the bus was passing on rocks and going to the right. We arrived in Buffalo 8:30 am and the driver told us that due to a mechanical problems we would had to wait half an hour to a mechanic… so after 5 hours Megabus sent us an email apologizing and telling that there would be a refund…they sent us another bus at 2:20 pm
We all arrived safe with a huge delay. Megabus was decent to return us the money





If you go travel Toronto- New York - Toronto it is ok to go by bus...but if the place is hidden somewhere in the United States, rent a car ...take the plane, a train or meet your friends somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Best of LA - Part III Today I will be brief… these are some precious hidden treasures LA has, please don’t miss them: The Getty ...